Thread: One year of MDS
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 6, 2011, 01:56 PM

Hi Freedom,

Sorry to learn of your wife's condition; however, I do agree with Gregg that Revlimid might be worth trying except that it will likely suppress her platelet count (it did mine when I took it). So she might not be able to go that route. Also note that while patients can receive hundreds of red blood cell transfusions, that is not necessarily the case with platelets. I became refractory to platelet transfusions after getting only 25 units. Some at the end were cross matched as well. About half of patients needing continued platelet transfusions will become refractory to them. See the following:

http://enotes.tripod.com/transfusion.htm

I trust you are aware that age is not a limiting factor in BMTs - rather it is comorbidities. Many of older folks have other conditions besides the MDS, like COPD, diabetes, and/or hypertension. A man aged 78 received a mini-transplant at the Fred Hutchinson Institute in Seattle. I will be turning 76 this month and my secondary hemo at the Emory University Hospital in Atlanta is considering such a procedure for me. It is however associated with a 30% mortality so I'm not sure if I'll go that route if offered.

Wishing your wife the best,

Gipper
gipper (AKA bill f), 76, ITP 11/00, MDS RA 1/05; myelodysplasia/myelofibrosis non-classifiable 4/09; revlimid ineffective; Dacogen positive; Nplate helpful, thalidomide better for low pltlt count; splenectomy 5/11; RAEB-2 9/11; Vidaza pending