Thread: One year of MDS
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 6, 2011, 03:41 PM

Low platelets

Hi Gipper,
The doctor who takes care of your wife is a little defensive. As Greg wrote Vidaza should always be continued at least 6 months - a BMB after 3 months doesn't tell us anything about if the patient will respond.

Then there are clinical trials in Canada for example this one: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...r=Open&rank=14.

You know Thalidomide doesn't decrease platelets as much as Revlimid - both should be taken with Prednisone or a similar drug the first 3 months.

Then 2 drugs for low platelets are approved for patients with the bleeding disease Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura: Promacta and Nplate. Both are in trials for MDS. As you live in a country where the doctors decide the treatment like I do (I live in Sweden) your doctor could try Promacta or Nplate. There are members of this forum that are taking these drugs with positive effect.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
72 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 2006. June 2010 I received txs every week and my dysfunctional platelets were 22. I started to take Thalidomide and Prednisone. After 4 weeks my platelets increased to 43 (now about 100) and I have not needed txs since Sept 2010. HGB slowly increasing - last count 13.3