Thread: One year of MDS
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 7, 2011, 11:05 AM

MDS

Hello freedom99 and your wife,
I certainly agree with all the advice given by Greg, Birgitta and Gipper. Of course your wife is the only one who can make the decision about how much treatment she wants to endure. She may also want to read about Kirby Stone's struggles with this disease on this website which are quite inspiring for us older folks. I have heard some of the MDS gurus online say that sometimes you have to "bite the bullet" with Vidaza treatment. "No pain, no gain" as they say. So I'm not sure if your wife's doctor gave up too soon or if your wife just did not want to sacrifice any more quality of life. It is a very difficult situation and often there is no clear cut answer. Does your wife have severe diabetes or just mild and was her quality of life good before this diagnosis? If her co-morbidities are not bad you may want to get a second opinion from an MDS expert.
Just out of curiosity are there any people out there reading this forum in the over 60 age group who have had a transplant for MDS and are doing OK?