View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 2, 2016, 03:34 PM
Owner

jsobo,

In my case it was my wife who received ATG for AA, not a child, but I understand that you want to be positive and brave to help to help your daughter get through this, but that you're just plain scared.

I think that young family members are more aware of adult moods than we realize. When you're upset and frightened, you can't keep it from them for long. If you cry, it shows that it's OK to cry, and perhaps that's a helpful message. When you then dry your eyes and move on (e.g., prepare questions for the doctor or ask nurses for items that will help your daughter be more comfortable), that's another positive example of facing a challenge and moving forward together.

When a child is in pain, parents feel it too, and I'm sorry you all had to go through this. You, your daughter, and your family deserve congratulations for facing this together and getting though it so far, even while frightened.

It may help you to know that many patients receiving ATG treatment have these types of reactions (pain, hives, rashes, etc.) -- even though the details of each case are unique -- and that the treatment and side effects are temporary. If ATG puts the disease at bay so your daughter can return to her normal teenage life, you're likely to think this awful experience was worth it.