View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 07:01 PM

large red cells

I too am concerned about MCV count. I am 17 days out from the start of hATG treatment and am on cyclosporine and prednisone now. My WBC, RBC and platelets are increasing on their own, praise God!! Have not had any transfusion since end of ATG week. But, MCV (size of RBC, as I understand it) has been steadily increasing. Was going down while I was in hospital and being treated, but I was also getting B12 shots that week.
I just left a msg with my doctor today to ask if he should be giving me B12 to reduce the MCV. My first hemotologist was all about B12 therapy for the macrocytosis. He referred me to another hemo that specialized in AA and BMT, and little has been said about the B12. I'm probably driving him nuts, but I'm a banker and I live for the numbers. All black and white for me. I don't know if this helps, but you should definitley ask about B12 and/or Folate deficiencies if you are experienceing macrocytosis issues.
Donna, age 44, diagnosed AA 9/30/10; treated h-ATG 10/3/10 and cyclosporine to 2012; Oct 2012 Duodenal cancer/Whipple procedure; 7/29/13 diagnosed PNH; July 2014 stable but very low HgB & Platelets(25-35)-Cyclosporine; Prednisone and bi-weekly soliris infusions