View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 11:58 AM

Hi rukalukavina,

I am a lifelong runner and have continued to run and race while taking cyclosporine.

I agree with Neil's comments about the importance of hydration if you are exercising and taking cyclosporine. Also, if you are experiencing leg cramps, have your magnesium levels checked as cyclosporine causes hypo-magnesium.

When starting a running regimen, it is important to start slow. This is true for everyone. I'd recommend starting with a brisk walk and then gradually add short bouts of jogging to those walking sessions. Each week, if you are feeling good, extend the time that you are jogging during your walk. Don't go fast, rather just concentrate on getting use to running. If you still feel bad, back off and just make your walks faster or longer for a while.

Cyclosporine can constrict your blood vessels. So starting with this slow approach will help you understand how your body responds to the extra stresses of running.

Of course, make sure that your doctor says that it is okay for you to do an exercise regimen! Also remember that you can not take any NSAIDs while on cyclosporine.

Congratulations on your good response to ATG