View Single Post
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Hi Nikkinak,

It must be so hard to watch your son suffer I hope they can quickly determine the cause of this!

Make sure that your son is being seen at a hospital with expertise in these diseases, as they are both rare. It's always worthwhile to get a second opinion. A person can have AA and have a normal absolute reticulocyte count and/or absolute lymphocyte count. NIH believes that these are positive markers for response to IST. Given time, if he has AA, these will likely track down. Also, a person can have MDS without genetic abnormalities. What specifically does the BMB report say? Does he have an empty marrow? Has his doctor done extensive testing for other possible causes?

I remember having bad aches in my legs and neck. For me, it was when my blood cells were increasing.

He's being seen at Rady's which I know is a very good hospital and one of the top ones over here for oncology/hematology and BMT's.

I'm not sure specifically what the first BMB report said. The way she explained it was the things that make the platelets were small, abnormal, and he had a low count which is opposite of what they would see with ITP. And when the other report came in she said he didn't have the genetic abnormalities and therefore doesn't really meet the criteria.