View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 1, 2011, 05:18 AM

Hi Rosie.

Yeah you're right, there aren't many of us young'uns! I was 29 when I was diagnosed with AA/hypo-MDS two years ago, and Laura is a little bit younger than me, too (we've both got threads in the Transplants section if you want to have a read, though Laura had AA rather than MDS).

The good news is that because we're younger, we're also generally stronger and more resilient so we can bounce back a little easier from the treatments in store. But adversely, things like transplants and chemo really screw up your hormones and chances for future children, which aren't quite so big a factor for older people (for example, I had to do IVF to freeze embryos before my transplant, and even now, 1.5 years later, I'm STILL seeing experts to sort out my hormones).

Have you had any further details on your diagnosis or treatment options? There are tons of different flavours of MDS and about as many treatments, too.

cheers, melissa
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)