Thread: Mds-mpn
View Single Post
Old Fri May 2, 2014, 05:54 AM

Mds/mpn

My dad has both of theses diseases too. It is very rare! He was diagnosed in Oct of 2013. My dad went to MD Anderson in Houston. He qualified for trial with Vidaza and Jakafi. He was unsure about it so didn't do it. He was going to wait and watch and do procrit shots. Severe hand pain developed . This was debilitating . Doc couldn't figure out this. 3 month later Lymph nodes neck, groin ect... My dad dx couldn't get any worst,but it did. Third diagnosis a rare and aggressive non Hodgkin's lymphoma.
We r back at MD Anderson . It is very complicated.
They are treating his MDS with Dacogen / Lymphoma with Prednisone( because he can't do the treatment of ChOP this is Heavy duty chemo because of his already diseased bone marrow. We are about to try Jakafi for the MPN . Jakafi helps with symptoms of MPN( enlarged spleen, itching ect... It is suppose to help a lot)
My dad is in a pickle and his life expectancy could be less than a year or less. I hope for quality of Life. My dad finished his second round of chemo. Not sure about how it is working. He feels weary all the time. He tolerates the chemo ok. His counts go up about 7 days before the next round and than he has to do it again. He is not eating well, and has to get transfusions at around 14 days. His platlets are low post day 24 of second round of chemo. Doc wants to start a low dose of Jakafi even with his plt. Being so low .He is not sure if it will work or not. That might be next week. Who knows what the Lymphoma is doing. We get a PET scan next week to see if the dacogen and the prednisone is doing anything.

I am here in Texas with my mom and dad. Please check out MD Anderson about MPN MDS this is the place to be!!!!!!!! I am sorry about your dad diagnosis
It is hard.

Mary