Thread: How much blood?
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 05:06 AM

Unhappy How much blood?

Hi All, my Dad was diagnosed in May 2007 with MDS. He has had an incredibly tough year with ups and downs resulting in him going into ICU with a terribly bad respiratory infection in October 2007. The doctors weren't holding out much hope but he pulled through THANKFULLY! His counts are generally low i.e. RBC ranging between 4.8 to 6.8 , platelets 0.2 to 4 (he last received platelets mid-Feb '08). He has been transfusion dependent from the start and has just completed a third cycle of Vidaza.My question is how many units of blood a person can receive at any one time.His RBC dropped to 4.8 two weeks ago and received 6 units. We live 3 hours from Johannesburg in a town called Nelspruit. He has to travel to Johannesburg to consult his Haemotologist. In the interim he consults with a GP in Nelspruit. He saw his Haematologist after receiving the 6 units and she says that she never gives more than 2 units at a time as the Spleen is likely to act as a sponge to the remaining units. We're not sure what to do. He is going in for another transfusion this afternoon as his blood is down again to 6.8. The doctor has recommended 4 units but we're obviously questioning whether we shouldn't let him have 2 units at a time? Have any of you out there any advice? Thanks

Last edited by Alison : Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Wrong diagnosis date