View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 1, 2011, 11:26 PM

Sue,

I find all the medical terms a major pain in the behind. It's kind of like a secret language that helps preserve the authority of the medical priesthood. Only folks who know the secret words are qualified to think about this stuff.

Baloney.

There is plenty of stuff that is way, way over my head -- particularly when you start talking about the way that genes work.

But some stuff . . . here's a good example: anisocytosis. You read that in your BMB report and think, "Holy moly! Whatever could that be? I must have bubonic plague or something. Or maybe my toes smell like anise seeds! Yikes!"

Turns out it means you have unequal-sized red blood cells -- just one of the many delights produced by out of whack bone marrow.

I think it would be a lot easier if they just said "We saw red blood cells of unequal size," don't you? If they'd just do that, I wouldn't have to look that dang word up every time I get a new BMB report.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com