View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 11, 2020, 10:06 AM

What in the world???

Well, I don't quite know where to begin...

Since about 2000, we have been monitoring my low blood counts. Through the years, I have had at least 3 Bone Marrow Biopsies, and untold number of CBCs... and even a few genetic tests. Doctors have concluded that I have Moderate Aplastic Anemia (AA). AA is a very rare disease.

Just this week, my brother (who is now 60 years old), after a BMB, was diagnosed with another very rare bone marrow disease -- myelofibrosis! He has only recently (after a bout with Covid) shown symptoms of this form of cancer. In fact, the tests he underwent in diagnosing and treating his Covid exposed the underlying issue of myelofibrosis -- otherwise he might not have realized until it was too late what was going on. I guess in this case, Covid did us a favor!

My question -- if you call it a question -- is this... how could this happen? How could two brothers come down with such rare blood diseases? And both of us were diagnosed in adulthood (I was probably 35-40 when diagnosed with MAA; he was 60 when diagnosed with myelofibrosis). Should we suspect heredity? Environment? Coincidence?

Also, we have a younger sister... should she be worried about also coming down with a rare blood disease?

I'm just a little bumfuzzled at the moment...

David M