View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:08 PM

Linda,

It's great to hear that the trial is offered locally!

I know from what I've read about SCT that it is a long haul, and often involves an outpatient time when you are living near the transplant center but going in most every day. It sure would be nice to be closer to home during that period. It also might mean, if you have relatives nearby, that you, as caregiver, would have a greater opportunity for a little respite now and again.

Given that Al is over 70, it might also be a good idea to check the track record of Anderson and Emory with older transplant patients. I would guess they'd be doing reduced intensity conditioning, so you'll want to make sure the center you choose is good at that.

Not to be nosy, but I am curious, if you don't mind my asking. Is the problem obtaining coverage because you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage program instead of regular Medicare? In other words, if you had regular Medicare, would crossing state lines be as big a problem? It has always seemed ridiculous to me that our health insurance in the US usually only works effectively in one state.

Take care and good luck.

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com