View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 3, 2013, 08:49 PM

How I got here.

I am a 30 year cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer on April 7TH 1983 at the age of 36 years old. I was married with two small sons.
I started chemo right away. We were able to remiss the disease in about 8 months of chemo.
The lymphoma returned in 1989 and we went after it with chemo and radiation. We were able to remiss it again.
in 2005 the docs. told me I had prostrate cancer. We decided to have it frozen (but I asked to leave the right side, where the sensual nerves were, alone, mistake). It flared up again the next year and I had to go to MD Anderson to have it radically removed. The 8 hour operation almost killed me, but I survived. The cancer was detected outside the prostrate the next spring and we did hormone treatment and it now remains under control.
Last spring I started having symptoms of breathlessness and it was diagnosed as degenerative heart failure. The heart was only beating at 20% of normal and it could not remove the fluid. We had 3 stents put in and went on oral meds. They have worked to date and the heart is now beating at 40%. This was caused by all the chemo ad radiation.
I have now been told I have MDS and have been through a bunch of chemos and now I am taking an oral pill, Revlimid 5 mg and the side effects are killing me with muscle and bone pain.
How is that for a new guy saying hello?
I know I am only still here by the grace of God and do not know how much longer I can fight.
I just thought someone might be interested in knowing how tough we can be with good family, friends, docs., and the Great Physician.
William c