View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 05:03 AM

plateletts not working

Well thought dean was getting better, but he had a turn day before yesterday, they can not stop the bleeding which they now say is diffently coming from ulcers. The platelets they were giving him are not working, they are trying to find a better match, which they say takes 3 to 4 days. His bowels are moving now more than ever 6 to 7 times aday with the black liquid stool. They had changed the meds for the ulcer to pills but started back a continuous drip thru iv yesterday, thank god he has a port. They gave him vitamin K, 2 units of blood, platelets, and are back to giving him fluids thru iv, they said even though he is drinking, he is on liquid diet, he needs more. This will be day 12 for us in the hospital, my son brought his kids to see him yesterday as Dean loves them so much, they brought him a card, and little plaque, the tears started rolling. He is so emotional, but the visit did him good. Haven't heard from Deans son in a couple of days and he kept asking me if I had heard anything, so when I got home I called him and told him to call his father I was so mad. The day before I called his daughter and told her to call him. This is so sad, why do kids do this. Right now he needs the emotional support of all his family. If anyone has any ideas about anything that could help, I would be glad to bring it up with the doctors. I had asked for them to do the lower gi but due to the low platelets they couldn't. They do not want to stop the old blood from coming out so they will not give him any meds to stop the diarrea. Over a year and half ago when they did a bone marrow test, they hit a nerve and Dean has never got all the feeling back in his rectumn so he does not know where he goes, he gets so embrassed so I try to be there as much as possible to clean him up. Left earlier than usual day before yesterdday and when I went to give him bath, he has mess all over him, the nurses half way cleaned him up. I know he want allow a sitter, because the only thing he has left is his modesty. Please keep him in your hopes and prayers.
Thank you
ann