View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 11:36 AM

Idk diagnosis, w ? about neutropenia + live bacteria

I visited here two ys ago when I was experiencing neutropenia, low platelets, and sporadic low RBC (the one time I requested they test for reticulocytes, they were low, too. I had a bone marrow biopsy done, which they botched and I decided to table my concerns as I wasn't going to do that again. My very consistent problems are neutropenia, and elevated MCV and MCH (the RBC and platelets are low but wnl).

I recently experienced an unexplained "flare" of neurological problems and I'm trying to figure out why. I had a possible lightbulb moment when I stumbled upon the "neutropenic diet" for transplant patients (but I come by it naturally). I had just, for the very first time ever, had several helpings of live culture yogurt-oops! That's apparently a no no and I've been trying to understand why and what happens. Someone explained that neutrophils clean up bad bacteria and that the body cannot handle the bacterial load if one eats (inoculates with) live bacteria yogurt. Then what happens? Presumably there's an over abundance of bacteria but....? Does it cause inflammation? Through what mechanism, or what happens? I'm trying to figure out if this could've set off an autoimmune attack, or inflammation in the brain or something that explains the subsequent neurological problems. The timing was quite suspicious.

I see my doc next month. Any thoughts would be appreciated!