View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 7, 2018, 11:14 PM

Yearly Update -- 2018

Hello All,

It is time once again for a yearly update! This past year, things have continued on being pretty stable for me, but there are some hints of changes as well. Usually I sum it all up by saying, "Well, it's not any better, but it's not any worse either." This year, maybe it is slightly worse.

First of all, I believe since my 2017 update, both of my hematologists have retired -- the one in Huntsville, AL, and the one at Vanderbilt in Nashville. So, I am now breaking in two fresh doctors to my weird blood condition. So far, I am happy with both, although I miss the two seasoned doctors who have been with me in this ordeal for so many years.

Below are counts from my last 5 CBCs... (10/17/17, 2/6/18, 4/17/18, 7/10/18, 8/6/18):
RBC: 2.67...2.46...2.51.... 2.36..... 2.46
WBC: 3.4...3.1...3.6... 3.2.... 3.1
Lymph #: 1.6...1.6...1.5.... 1.06.... 1.3
Lymph %: 45.3...50.6...43.1.... 33.1... 43.3
Neut #: 1.21...0.98...1.32.... 1.37.... 1.01
Neut %: 35.4...31.4... 37.0... 42.6.... 33.0
Hgb: 9.9...9.4...9.3.... 8.6..... 9.0
HCT: 29.2...26.7... 27.8... 26.0.... 26.9
Platelet: 44...42...46.... 41.... 41

Late last year and early this year, it seemed like I was getting sick a bit more than usual. I got a "cold" of some sort, then the flu, then a month or so later, I got the flu again! Somewhere in there I picked up a slight stomach virus for a few days as well. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but on the word of my doctor, I had stopped taking my Super-B Complex and iron supplements just prior to all of this. I didn't know if it would make a difference or not, but I started taking the Super-B Complex and iron supplements once again -- and haven't been sick since! I told my doctor about this, and she prescribed me an additional B-12 pill and quarterly B-12 injections. Have they helped? I don't know, but I guess they haven't hurt either.

Overall, my energy level has taken a slight downturn... as has my HGB level (slightly). It may be my imagination, but I think I am starting to feel more sluggish and tired. One of my HGB readings was 8.6 -- the lowest ever for me. I'm not sure when you really start to notice a low HGB reading... I just know how I've been feeling lately. A good bit more droopy. But still, I press on!

I have not been exercising regularly as I have been in the past, and I miss it. I need to get back to doing something on a more regular basis. We have moved to a new house in the past few months, and I feel like I have gotten plenty of exercise during the moving process!

For the first time in all of this blood ordeal, one of my hematologists referred to my situation as Moderate Aplastic Anemia! This may not seem like a big deal, but it made me feel a little better -- just being able to put a name on it!

Well, to sum up, overall it has been another good year. But I am noticing a sort of unnatural level of droopiness that I have never experienced. I am pretty sure within the next year, my doctors will be pushing me to get another bone marrow biopsy (my last one was in 2009). We'll see... I guess.

In closing, I want to say that I am very thankful for this Forum and for those who maintain it. I don't always chime in and say a lot... but I do check the forum frequently. Although I have not personally met any of you, I feel as if I know you and share a bond with you that few would understand. Thank you for your wisdom and your desire to help others with this terrible disease.

Until next time,
David M