Thread: Antibodies?
View Single Post
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:05 AM

Lynn, it's not great for BMTs, but it's not impossible. Because of all my transfusions when I was little in addition to the ones I've had in the past few months, I've got antibodies against pretty much all the platelets out there.

The regular pools (from lots of donors) stopped working about a month ago, even with the dose of piriton first to stop any reactions, then they swtched me to single-donor platelets and I wasn't incrementing on those either, and just last week they ordered some HLA-matched platelets for me. The first didn't take at all (my platelet count an hour afterwards was the same as before), but a different bag of HLA platelets on Tuesday worked great.

I'm getting my BMT in less than a fortnight, so I know it's more work and coordination for the hospital to organise HLA-matched platelets for me for the duration of my stay, but it hasn't even pushed back my admission date or anything...
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)