View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 07:10 AM

Oww, that looks to me like you should really be getting GCSF/Neupogen, too, as that's a pretty steep slide. Can you push your haematologist again or even get a second opinion? This is a pretty dangerous area to be playing with. And Neupogen can be self-administered so you should be able to keep some in your fridge and take them when your blood counts dip down too low (when I briefly needed them post-transplant this was how we did them. The shots are just subcutaneous and pre-dosed so you just pinch some belly fat and shove it in!).

As for things you can do, you really need to follow a strict neutropenic diet (if you do a google search, a lot of good materials for cancer patients come up, but there are even stricter guidelines for those with neutrophils under 0.2 that you should be following - I had a full book given to me during transplant). Stay away from soil, fresh flowers, anything to do with pet litter/droppings, and if possible, stay away from pets altogether. Wash your hands at very frequent intervals. Brush your teeth and use mouthwashes after each time you eat/drink to cut down on mouth bacteria (argh the name of the mouthwash is eluding me right now).

Are your WBC low, too? If so, then you need to stay away from crowds and sick people and newly-immunised kids, too. Even now I always wear gloves on public transport (as does my fiance) because it really does cut down on getting sick from all those people touching the handholds and buttons...
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)