Thread: ATg response
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 04:52 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryP View Post
Very jealous of you Americans who are given your blood work whereas lots of times we get to guess! Still don't know my genetic fault, nor my pnh clone size.
Are you talking about King's College Hospital? If so, I suggest that you talk to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and explain that you are a well-informed patient and want regular access to your own test results. Actually, the hospital suggests that before going to PALS you ask at reception about any concerns you have, or ask to talk to a "senior staff member", but I suspect that's not going to solve the problem in general.

In my experience, the sharing of test results mostly depends on traditions and habits of the institution or doctor, not on an explicit policy to restrict access to test results. I've found that squeaky wheels get the test results they want. And if that doesn't work, use the formal procedure (see "How can I see my records?").

My wife "trained" her hematologist so that at the end of the appointment the doctor instructs the nurses to give us a copy of the latest labs. It was just a matter of consistently asking until it became a habit.