View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 04:24 PM

My son's decline into SAA was very rapid and had to do with him getting upper respiratory viruses (his only positive tests are rhinovirus/enterovirus). He was diagnosed in Apr 2013 with a nasty upper respiratory virus & SAA, started to recover on his own from the SAA in May, rapidly declined in June, and had ATG in Jul. Counts started to recover nicely then he got an upper respiratory infection with a fever in Dec that sent his numbers back down to where they were in April, but luckily he was on cyclosporine still and he recovered in a few days. So basically he had a relapse but his cyclosporine helped him recover from it. He's on a taper now and doesn't finish until Apr 2015. It makes me wonder what will happen when he gets his first enterovirus after he does. It also makes me think that he should perhaps be one of those people that should have a low dose of cyclosporine forever, but I guess we shall see. I would think they'd try increasing your wife's dose again and see if the platelets come back up? That works for some people.