Thread: Scared
View Single Post
Old Wed May 2, 2007, 11:02 PM

Resources for Canadians

Hi Lost,

You've gotten a lot of good advice, so I won't try to duplicate it. I see by your profile that you are Canadian. You don't say from where, but it may be worth mentioning that there are two Centers of Excellence in Canada, both in Toronto:

Toronto Sunnybrook Regional
Cancer Centre
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Richard A. Wells, MD

University of Toronto
Hospital for Sick Children
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yigal Dror, MD

It would probably be worthwhile to check with those facilities to see if they have names of physicians who are expert in your area. Other posts have done speculation as to your husband's profile, but we could use more info. You could also call the MDS Foundation directly, info on their web site mds-foundation.org to get a referral to a good doctor in your area.

I don't know if they force you into a round hole like a square peg in Canada, but even so, a squeeky wheel can often get some grease. Also, there are excellent trials all over the world if you can't get satisfaction otherwise.

Transplants get increasingly risky over age 40 even though the local facility here in Seattle does them up to age 70, but you should really be in good physical shape otherwise and have a perfect match at age 57 if you are considering one. If his brothers are perfect matches, that is really great. Survival can be gotten with less than perfect matches, but graft versus host disease can be a real bummer.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.