View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:00 PM

Red face to debraw56:

not that I haven't read and appreciate the other responses, I have and I appreciate it, but I am too tired to write much now.

I am sorry about your son, I looked over his blog and was very touched. I had a very similair experience, minus the foreign aspect. I was given a routine blood test because I asked for it, and was later instructed, by phone call, after the doctor's office had closed, that I was to immiediatly proceed to the nearest ER for a blood transfusion. I took along my boyfriend and tried not to get upset.
For 3 days, they didn't know what was wrong with me. They told me in front of my mom, my boyfriend, and a close friend (I did not appreciate this at all, I thought this to be very private news) that it was either Leukemia, HIV, or aplastic anemia. We knew what the other ones were, so we prayed for aplastic anemia. Nothing could be as terrible as the others. And, in many ways, we were all right. Like your son, I laughed, I joked, I did crazy dances in my hospital gown. I took myself on a trip around the hospital to see the newborn babies. That is not allowed, I later found out, but the nurses didn't stop me- I guess they figured a kid in a mask was not somebody out to steal babies. But I digress. I was treated with ATG and my counts shot up the day I left the hospital. They kept going for months, and now I am just outside of normal. The physical pain may be hard to see some times, but the emotional pain goes on. Its been a year for me, and I am still dealing with my grief. I have watched loved ones die of cancer, and this is nothing like that. Death means that our suffering is over, and bravery is required, but it ends. I have found that the true courage is that which is never ending. It is just the beginning for him, for me, for many. The start of a new life, diffrent and lost from the place we planned for. Scared doesn't begin to explain it. But you have already done a great service to your son by being there, and reading these posts, and finding out what you can. I see that he was trying to figure out what made him sick- it doesn't matter how he got sick, just that he can be well again. It doesn't change anything to know why.

Tell your son hello for me, and good luck, and that he can reach me here anytime.

Krista