View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:33 PM

Hi kemp31- I'm one of the MDS people that Bailie has mentioned, who is in "watch and wait" mode and has been for nearly five years now. Prior to diagnosis I had had chronic idiopathic neutropenia for many years and was being monitored 3-monthly by my GP.

I was diagnosed because I had a routine workplace medical and the workplace GP saw my pathology results and impressed upon me the need to follow up with my GP. He wasn't available, so I saw a different GP. That doctor recommended I see a haematologist with a view to having another bone marrow biopsy (it was 3 years since a previous one). MDS RAEB2 showed up in those results. Fortunately my condition improved over the next few months and I was re-diagnosed in a lower risk category.

I recommend if you have the opportunity you should have a bone marrow biopsy. As Bailie said, with MDS you can be feeling OK but actually be seriously ill. (BTW feeling the cold as well as tiredness can be side-effects of MDS.)
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.