Thread: AA evolved
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 09:11 AM

AA evolved

I've had aplastic anemia for over 44 years, documented, and probably for my whole life (I'm over 60). For the past couple of years, I haven't felt at all well, even though for years after my hATG in 1987 I felt pretty good. I carried on with my family, friends and with my (very satisfying) career.

I had a bone marrow biopsy on March 15 and after years of having BM cellularity of 0-2%, all of a sudden, I'm at 75% cellularity. I was told "nobody has plain old aplastic anemia for 60+ years." My granulocytes look strange and they're "clonal," meaning one of them went wild and began reproducing itself.

They're calling it "T-cell large granulocyte lymphocytic leukemia." I was told on Friday that it's not curable, but it is treatable. I wonder how treatable mine is, though, considering I have severe cirrhosis from hepatitis C that was contracted during a blood transfusion while I was having hATG (before they were screening blood for the virus). I'm seen at the University of Michigan.

I'm concerned, but I'm not frightened. If anyone else knows about this type of leukemia, please let me know, okay? I'm going to call down to the University of Virginia as I understand there are trials, studies, protocols, etc. going on. I don't know if I have the energy reserves to make it to VA, but I'd consider it.

Thank you.