View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 11:49 AM
Owner

Your mother's bone marrow may be recovering even though the tacrolimus is keeping her counts down. I understand that you want to know if she is indeed recovering, but it's hard to tell.

The starting dose usually depends on a patient's weight. Doctors don't want patients on immunosuppressants any longer than necessary, but tapering the dose often has to be done quite slowly. Going from 2mg/day to 1mg/day is a significant reduction, especially if she was on more than 2mg/day only a few weeks ago.

Sometimes patients need transfusions because of low counts during transplant recovery, so don't be surprised if that happens. My wife needed a few transfusions. Immunosuppression was making her counts drop, but it was 2 to 3 months after transplant, not nearly 6 months later as in your mother's case.

I suggest asking her doctor if her tacrolimus dose needs to be increased again to maintain her counts, or if she should continue at the current dose. (I'd be very surprised if they reduce her dose again very soon.) And ask what other factors might be affecting her counts.