View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 09:16 PM

Well, as of this afternoon I have been officially diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia. Since I was watching all the labs come back, this is not a surprise at all - and in fact it's a bit of a relief to have the diagnosis!

I do not have SAA at this time, although Dr. Babushok said I'm pretty close to that (right on the borderline is how she described it). In particular my platelets are trending downward fairly quickly at this time: today's count was 24 down from 31 just a few weeks ago. I had a RBC transfusion 3 weeks ago, and my Hg is now at 8.7 (it was 7.5 before the transfusion, and 9.5 about 10 days ago). I will do a transfusion again once my Hg goes under 8, which will most likely be the case when I get a blood check again in 2 weeks. But thankfully my WBC and neutrophils continue to hang in there - my last ANC was 1.5.

So we are going to move forward with ATG/cyclosporine treatment since it looks like I will probably end up with SAA sooner or later - and it's better not to wait until things get too bad! But since my neutrophils are hanging in there, we can afford to wait until after my daughter's HS graduation in early June, which was the one thing I absolutely cannot miss! So unless something changes drastically between now and then, I will be starting treatment either the week of 6/12 or 6/19.

I'm sure I will have more questions as we get closer to that date. Thanks again for all your help!