Thread: My Dad's Story
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks, Marlete

Your information is wonderful. We have switched hem/oc doctors - remaining at the same practice. Managing all the aspects of this disorder is mind-boggling.
Dad has been off the Exjade (Dr. W. agreed!)and will be considering adjusting the dosage. I was not aware that the FE level could be affected in the ways you pointed out! We have an appt. this week with a Nephrologist, which I am hoping will shed more light on the situation.
I have been supplementing with Vit. B., potassium, magnesium, and folic acid. Dad receives lasix with his transfusions, which I know also affects the kidney and mineral levels.
Dad also takes Prilosec, as well as a probiotic! I try hard to cover all the bases, more input from our new doctor will be great. Dr. W. seems to be much more pro-active, and was not happy that dad hadn't already seen a nephrologist. He also wants us to see a gastroenterologist - YIKES! Try fitting in all these appointments, and the weekly and sometimes twice weekly transfusions. Doesn't do much for the quality of life.
Additionally, we go to the VA hospital for help with meds. We are so thankful for this assistance, but despise the long waits and long drive.
By the way, Dr. W. feels a consult at MD Anderson would be a good idea. Even though Dad is 76, he thinks a stem cell transplant may be possible.
We continue our quest!