View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 09:40 PM

MDS to AML but low blast count

Hi,
My name is Haley, and my mother in law was diagnosed with MDS in June. At that time, her doctor said she had RAEB II with a blast count of 14%. She's been getting Vidaza once a month for the past 5 months. She had a hard time tolerating the chemo, so they had to lower the dosage and increase the time between rounds.
About 2-3 weeks ago, she developed lesions on her back, legs, and eye. They did a biopsy and found it was leukemia. She was hospitalized last Monday and they started induction chemo. It has been very hard on her as well...her heart rate has slowed and they've had to put a temporary pacemaker in. They also did another bone marrow biopsy when she was admitted last week, and we just received the results. The doctor told us she does have AML now, however her blast counts are only 4%. I tried to ask how that was possible, but didn't quite understand the explanation.
Until we have the chance to find out more information, I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some insight. I've tried to learn as much as I can about MDS and AML online, but it's still so complex.
The doctor also said she myelofibrosis.
Thank you for your help.