View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa V View Post
Dhruba, the first thing you need to do is have your wife's sister tested.

BMTs don't happen quickly, it will take time to do the testing and make all of the other necessary arrangements. Since she has already been taking cyclo since September, 3 months is not that far off. Even if her sister is a match, I doubt they could arrange to do the BMT before then, and if she shows improvement by then, you can always cancel it. You are not committed to go through with any procedure if her circumstances change. The doctors should tell you that.

Yes, the more transfusions she has, the more risk of developing antibodies that can complicate a BMT. That is not a reason to avoid transfusions, however. To not get needed blood or platelets would be much riskier for her health in general. It is unavoidable, but there are many people here who have had quite a few transfusions and still had successful BMTs.

It might help you to read the transplant section of this forum, just to get a better idea what is involved.

All the best,
Dear Lisa,

Thank you again for your informative reply. Actually In Bangladesh, I can do HLA A, HLA B and HLA C typing. My Bangladeshi doctor told me that to select my wife sister as a donor need to do some other HLA typing. So I cant do the HLA matching now. My next appointment fixed on 31st December in India. I am now worried that am I getting too late?
I transfued 1 bag compack cell but still my wife feel very much weak. Will I transfuse more? If transfuse then transfuse only RBC or whole bag?