View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 10:54 AM
Owner

Dhruba,

It is wonderful news that Sraboni's sister is a match. It is worrisome that the transplant cannot be arranged at Christian Medical College before March because her ANC has been dropping. Transfusions are keeping her hemoglobin up but her neutropenia (lack of white cell neutrophils) is now on the borderline between "moderate" and "severe", which means she is in increased danger from infections. You should do what you can to keep her away from sources of infection (such as other people who are sick) and I think you should ask her doctor what to do about the neutropenia if you have to wait months for the transplant. Perhaps her doctor will have advice about reducing the chance of infection or will want to treat her for the neutropenia.

Christian Medical College does about 80 allogenic transplants a year. If you know of another treatment center that also does transplants it would be worth finding out if they have similar experience and can arrange a transplant sooner than March. Waiting that long increases her chance of getting an infection and also increases the number of transfusions she'll need.

Did her doctor explain why they stopped cyclosporine?

If Sraboni had been at Christian Medical College originally they probably would have used immunosuppressant therapy with ATG or ALG. (You found that there is no ATG treatment in Bangladesh but there is at CMC. I can tell from their research reports.) But with a transplant coming up I doubt they will recommend ATG now.

Are you having to travel back and forth between Dhaka and Vellore or are you staying in India now?