View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 06:14 PM

I had ATG last week

I was at Sunnybrook last week for horse ATG. I had allergy tests first and was not allergic. Had the serum over 4 days with fairly mild reactions. I was also taking prednisone. Had some fever, headaches, hives and fast heartbeat.

I got out on Saturday and drove back to Ottawa, a 4 hr drive. Got dehydrated and woke up with a fever of 39.3. I was concerned my WBC could be crashing so I went to emergency on Sun morning. Spent a couple days in hospital, fever came and went but just seems to be part of the serum reaction. My WBC had gone up to 2.8 and my neutrophil count was 1.3. Platelets were down in the 60,000 range but seemed to be holding, no good measurement on HGB yet. I think that will be the slowest to recover.

I'm home now and finally had a good night's sleep after about 10 days. Keeping on top of symptoms with benadryl or tylenol but feeling ok.

I'm taking it easy and making sure to drink lots of water.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I found I didn't really know what to expect after I got out of hospital. Especially where counts are concerned. The reaction to the serum is like a bad flu it seems, as your immune system kicks into gear to fight the serum.

Thanks,
Deb