View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:34 PM

Hi Susan,

It helps to know others have been through a similar experience.

I was diagnosed with pure red cell aplasia in Jan 2009. I was treated with cyclosporine for 7 months. I also had a low WBC (below 2) and she could never explain that. As soon as I stopped cyclo, the transfusion-dependence returned. In Feb I tried IVIG for PRCA, which made me worse. When she suggested prednisone and cytoxan as the next treatment for PRCA, I started to wonder why I had PRCA and not aplastic anemia.

I went for a 2nd opinion to Dr Wells at Sunnybrook who felt I was more leaning towards mild-moderate aplastic anemia because I also had a low WBC AND low platelets (the low platelets was a surprise). He was sure if I waited long enough it would technically be aplastic anemia. Since he seemed more knowledgeable and could answer all our questions, we decided to do the ATG.

I had to get abx for a UTI today. Hopefully tonight I will get a good night's sleep - I was up a lot last night, and the prednisone does not help. I am feeling better than I was this morning, but I still feel pretty unstable, as in I wouldnt want to make any plans to do anything. Thank goodness I also have next week off work. Also thank goodness I've had no nausea.

Deb