View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 06:47 AM

To Loretta

Hi Loretta,

I have been reading your posts and I just want wish you the best on April 17th! and a happy early birthday too!

I am so sorry to hear that your MDS has progressed to AML. Just as yourself, my dad's MDS has only affected his red blood cells too which makes his hgb low. So far, 3 doctors have found that Vidaza is "reasonable" although my dad does not have any abnormal chromosomes or excess blasts. Most likely, I believe that we will be proceeding with Vidaza in the next month or two. However, based on the doctors' opinions, it apperas that the chances that Vidaza will be working for my dad are really low - about 10 - 15%. However, there is always hope even though I am scared right now because of the possible side effects and I just don't want my dad to suffer.

In your personal story, I noticed that you mentioned a procedure called peripheral stem cell transplant. I tried doing research on this but the the sites I found online were a little difficult to interpret and were not in a lay man's terms. Do you mind sharing what this procedure is about and who may qualify? I'm wondering if I should bring this up to my doctor or not. To my understanding, our doctor advised us that a the donor/transplant route was not an option for us because of my dad's age -- he will be 72 this May.

I'm so sorry that Vidaza ceased to work for you. It was working so well for a period of time. By any chance, does your doctor know why perhaps that it stopped working?

And can you clarify what a BMB is? I apologize, I am still new to all this....

I will be having you in my thoughts and prayers.

With warmest regards,
June Choi
June, daugther. 71 yr old father dx on 01/13/07 with MDS/MPD - RCMD/Secondary MF). No excess blasts no excess chromosomes. Hypercelluar 70-80%. Low hgb. Transfusion dependent every 3-4 weeks/2pints. Began Procrit on 03/27/07. No progress thus far. Taking Folic Acid, B6, CoQ10, and Cod Liver Oil

Last edited by choijk : Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling