View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 10:59 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by choijk View Post
And can you clarify what a BMB is?
BMB is short for bone marrow biopsy, the diagnostic procedure your dad had a couple of weeks ago. You reported the results in this post.

I suggest that you download a copy of the AA&MDSIF's Myelodysplastic Syndromes Basic Explanations (a 384K PDF file). It gives an overview of all of the MDS basics: symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, blood counts, transfusions, clinical trials, wellness, emotional issues, and more. It has a glossary at the end, but to find abbreviations I find that it's best to search the text in your PDF viewer. Search for "bmb" and up pops "bone marrow biopsy (BMB)" in the Diagnosis section.
Note: Since 2008 a newer MDS guide is available: Your Guide to Understanding MDS (28MB PDF file).
The AA&MDSIF also has an online glossary for common medical words and phrases, but it doesn't include all of the abbreviations.

Since the Basic Explanations document is from 2005, the section on treatment choices doesn't cover developments in the last 2 years, but it's a great starting point for learning your way around all of these abbreviations and phrases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choijk View Post
In your personal story, I noticed that you mentioned a procedure called peripheral stem cell transplant. I tried doing research on this but the the sites I found online were a little difficult to interpret and were not in a lay man's terms. Do you mind sharing what this procedure is about and who may qualify? I'm wondering if I should bring this up to my doctor or not. To my understanding, our doctor advised us that a the donor/transplant route was not an option for us because of my dad's age -- he will be 72 this May.
The full name is peripheral blood stem cell transplant (PBSCT). From the same Basic Explanations document:
In peripheral blood stem cell transplants (PBSCT), healthy stem cells are collected from the bloodstream of the donor rather than from the bone marrow and are transfused into the a person with MDS. PBSC transplants are a relatively new approach to the treatment of MDS and are considered a viable alternative for older adults or for people who do not have a suitable matched donor.

Last edited by Neil Cuadra : Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added note about new guide