View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 09:00 PM

75% experience Mucositus, I experienced it pretty bad, to the point where I couldn't talk...

I love chocolate milk, and chocolate ensures, so I drank 3 of each per day...

250 calories x 3, and 130 calories x 3 (750 + 390) = or 1,140 calories per day...

I was on IV nutrition for a day and a half, but developed a fever, and they took me off of it as a precaution...

Water was (for me) almost impossible to drink with the mouth sores, but anything chocolate and smooth, like milk and ensure was soothing to drink through a straw, and along the side of my mouth, kind of like if your mouth was wired shut... very slowly...

And yes I was on demand morphine (missles I called them) with a trigger...

Mine was due to the combination of radiation and chemo... In the end (now) it was part of the process... rinse with the saline and bicarbonate soda that they provide as well as biotine (like on the commercials), brush as long as you can with the softest baby toothbrush you can find (or they provide)...

I had to stop brushing when the skin was falling off the side of my mouth... (during the healing process), my platelets were 13, and I couldn't risk the possility of bleeding...

Sorry for the graphic response, but you should know what to expect (worse case senario)... Hopefully your experience will be better....

Best regards.
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)