Thread: Magnesium
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 08:18 PM

Magnesium

Hello Tom, my medical journey with MDS like symptoms started with extreme stress that eventually lead to inflammation, pain, hives, swelling and then anemia and low platelets. A few months ago i started on magnesium for the stress, depression, anxiety and hives and to my astonishment it worked. My hives forced me to take up to 40mg of prednizone a day and now im down to 15.

I am off all my depression and anxiety medication too. Unfortunately it has not affected my anemia and platelets but ill take what i can get. Half my battle with this disease was mental and that is healed.

Pubmed https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed has interesting articles on magnesium and the body. It is an astounding mineral responsible for hundreds of metabolic processes in the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom30 View Post
Hi, looking for some advise on magnesium supplementation. I haven't looked into this before and stumbled on the thought after soaking my feet in epsom salt of all things, I had a issue with a crazy itch in my feet for about 15 years it usually goes away in a hour or so and it really hasn't been bothering me much lately but the last few days it's been driving me nuts, not a surface itch much deeper. Anyway I picked some Epsom salt and tried soaking my feet and the itch went away. I had already looked up magnesium and looked at it in the past but don't really want to throw things at my body without a reason. Magnesium comes up a number of times in these forums with folks taking it as a supplement. I suspect that I might have some kind of absorption issue and I'm on a paleo diet eating mostly vegetables (at least a pound a day), fruit, nuts, meat and fish. I assume i'm getting enough in my diet but I do have symptoms that may indicate an issue. I do not recall be tested for magnesium and my last test from the hematologist didn't have it, he ran potassium but I'll have to dig through my past results but I assume I'll be in range since it never came up as an issue.

Any suggestions on brands, dosage, experience and results would be greatly appreciated.