Thread: Low platelets
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 2, 2011, 09:28 AM

Compassionate or Emergency Use of Promacta or Nplate`?

Hi Birgitta,

what do you know about the probability and procedure getting access for MDS-Patients to Promacta or Nplate?
On the FDA and ASCHO Websides there are several ressources for information, which i partly read.(The educationsal programs at the ASCO - University for more precise information consists of videos which take some time to study. It is possible to access this free-of-charge programs with a guest account to ASCO. An die FDA-Webside you can read the regulations for extended use of investigational drugs such as Promacta and Nplate. I have been on the webside of Nplate/Amgen,but not specially searching for extended use (programs).

As you mentioned the difficulty approaching this access, - what is your knowledge, are your web/forum-based experiences in this materia?

FDA approval would be one problem. The other being the financial issue. As i read, sometimes the drug companies do not charge the patients, but i have no more exact informations concerning promacta and nplate in the cases of individual extended emergence and/or compassionate use.

Another possibility in such cases might be private or organisatiorial support.. Do you know anything about it?

Kind regards,

Margarete