View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 4, 2014, 12:30 AM

The haematologists at HOCA in Brisbane transfuse when the Hb is under a hundred. It's just a flat policy.

When I went to the local public hospital they seemed to wait until people were very symptomatic. I remember a man that used to sit next to me a lot (he was an ex Scotland Yard detective and very interesting) and they would let his Hb drop to the 70s and he would be breathless, need oxygen and get chest pain....I was disgusted, but the man didn't know to insist on having his Hb higher. It wasn't until the cardiologist wrote a letter stating he needed a higher Hb that they decided to transfuse him at 90.

I think that you have to speak up and tell them that you don't function well with a Hb of 90 and you'd like a cut off of 100. Every person is different and some people function well at 70 and others feel awful at 90.

I'm sure a town as large as Bundaberg would have a Leukaemia Foundation volunteer, maybe they can help you by going to an appointment with you. Your GP might be willing to write a letter requesting that you are transfused when your Hb drops below 100.

Does Bundaberg have their own haematologist or do they visit from Brissie? Can I ask who your haematologist is?

So many questions, sorry.