Thread: BMT Failure
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 8, 2016, 09:57 AM

Unhappy BMT Failure

Hi! I am new here and we are desperately looking for a community during this difficult times.

My boyfriend was diagnosed with SAA last April 2015 he then underwent BMT the following month May 2015. The donor was his sister. After his BMT he was receiving BT continuously during those months because his blood cells are not proliferating. 2 PRBC/day and went on for several months. Until he reached his 100th day in the hospital that the doctor said that its graft failure. He has frequent ICU admissions because of this. In addition, he developed atherosclerosis just 3 months ago and developed somed arrythmias. Last one he had was ventricular tachycardia thank God he was treated immediately.

Anyway, since hid BMT he never went out of the hospital, thats 9 months hospital stay and its very tormenting and depressing especially for him he is just 28yrs old and had a very active life.

It has been a month and a half that he was not receiving BT because his blood cells were okay but recently just a couple of days ago his blood cells drastically went down and we really dont know what to do he is receiving BT again as of now.

What is his chance of going back to his normal life or even at least go back home out of the hospital? Can this mere BT work for him since 2nd BMT would be too risky as what his doctor told him.

Any insights or comments are really appreciated. We are really scared of this situation I hope that he would cope up with this.