View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 11:37 PM

Hi Wendy,

Although I can't specifically respond to your question about the dentist, I can tell you that, as a patient at NIH, I was not put on Bactrim.As long as I was on the Cyclosporine, I was required to go once a month for Pentamidine treatments for the prevention of Pneumocystis,(which I'm sure you are aware is a life threatening Pneumonia that even an adequate neutrophil count does not protect against). I have spoken with other people who have raised the issue of Bactrim, so I looked it up in the PDR and this is what I found:

Sulfamethoxazole, an ingredient in Bactrim, is one of a group of drugs called sulfonamides, which prevent the growth of bacteria in the body. Rare but sometimes fatal reactions have occurred with use of sulfonamides. These reactions include Stevens-Johnson syndrome (severe eruptions around the mouth, anus, or eyes), progressive disintegration of the outer layer of the skin, sudden and severe liver damage, a severe blood disorder (agranulocytosis), and a lack of red and white blood cells because of a bone marrow disorder.

Notify your doctor at the first sign of an adverse reaction such as skin rash, sore throat, fever, joint pain, cough, shortness of breath, abnormal skin paleness, reddish or purplish skin spots, or yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes.

Frequent blood counts by a doctor are recommended for patients taking sulfonamide drugs

Pretty scary that a drug that can cause blood disorders,bone marrow failure,etc is prescribed for patients already suffering from bone marrow failure
disease and blood disorders.

Anyway, I believe that my VSAA was at least partially caused by an antibiotic I was on, Dynacin, which also states in the PDR can cause blood and bone marrow disorders..one of which is neutopenia...I was not on any antibiotics when sent home from NIH..just temperature taking and some Levaquin in the house "just in case my temp went over 101" and instructed to then go to the ER..Needless to say ..Everything went fine ..never needed the Levaquin or the ER and my blood counts never dropped, once I was home from NIH.I have had some dental issues (mostly gums) probably from the AA or some of the medications.

SO , I hope that I helped in some small way and hope that you and your family are doing well.
Take care, Judi
Judi 46yoa VSAA diagnosed May 2003 ATG/Cyclosporine/mycophenolate treatment complete remission ukn cause. I believe caused by stress while on an antibiotic or an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. I also had ITP about 20 years prior.