View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Hi, Nicole.

I remember that it was very hard to start eating again after my transplant. I had to have a morphine drip to control the pain from mouth sores. (Actually, I got dilaudid because I'm allergic to morphine.) It's typical for transplant patients to say nothing tastes good. The various medications tend to make things taste metallic, which takes away any pleasure in eating. I lived on popsicles for a while because the coldness kept my sore mouth from hurting. You might be able to help your husband by focusing on hot vs. cold or a texture he is comfortable with rather than how the food tastes and whether or not he's hungry. Right now it's probably more important he gets calories than a full range of nutrients, so look for calorie-laden foods. Will he drink Ensure? Carnation Instant Breakfast? Either can be served very cold.

There are appetite stimulants that some patients take after transplant. Ultimately, I knew I had to eat in order to be released from the hospital so I was motivated. Since he is unable to eat enough at Day +120, reviewing the situation with a nutritionist at your treatment center may help. You might also consider whether he is depressed as depression can suppress appetite as well.

Hope this helps.

Ruth