View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 08:00 AM

Thank you

Thank you all for your responses, I could only find forum posts mainly from the US...OMG those prices are incredible in the US. From your responses how lucky am I to be in Australia. I just don't know how some could manage it. What an extra worry, when there is already enough to deal with.

Whiz: I am so glad you are going so well. I know you can't base one persons experience with what another would experience as there is so many factors. But because you are the same age as me, I feel connected and your sort of my guiding star of hope and that comforts me when I need it. Nice to see your pic too! Don't think I will look as good as you with no hair.

SBK: I think the US medical system sucks! I always think of the movie John Q when US forum members mention insurance etc. I read somewhere that some purchase their own medical supplies before surgery to cut costs. Is that true?

Chirley: I read yesterday that there is a fund in Australia that pays for any out of pocket costs not covered by medicare for searches. I don't know when it was established, perhaps after your search.

SLB: I am an organiser, and like to have all my duckies in a row, to reduce any unnecessary stress when the time comes. I think that I wanted the comfort of knowing I have some control and that would have come with a sibling match. I know where they live if they decided to back out lol (not that they would), you can see how things are progressing, than being left in the dark waiting for information etc and of course highly motivated to ensure your donor needs are met promptly . With the mystery donor, you have no idea who, where, what etc. That sort of scares me now. Thank you for your offer also, I am sure I will be in touch, feel free to PM me too even just to say hi.

Sandi: I was so delighted to see your name pop up. I have wondered how you have been often, only yesterday did I think of you when I was at the hospital and saw your consultant Julian walking around. I sent a message/email to you quite some time ago but didn't receive a reply back and thought you needed some time to yourself and family. I carried a lantern for Paul at the Leukaemia Walk for you, and have kept it in case you would like it. Please PM and let me know how you are going whenever you like. You mentioned the donor courier as well, I found this yesterday when searching this subject, http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=183809
I thought it was quite interesting Q&A with a donor courier.

Cheryl: Why did you not have a transplant?

Honey
Dx June 2013 MDS del 5q and 7t. Further chromosone changes August 2017. Lenolidomide and 10 months on Azacytadine failed. Transition to AML August 2018 failed induction chemo. Trial drug FT2101 failed at 6 months. Next on Venetoclax with cytoterabine.