Thread: Should I worry.
View Single Post
Old Sun May 29, 2016, 02:29 PM

Hi Lindsay - I didn't see if the doctors checked your son's iron level - It sounds like he may have an iron deficiency - slightly anemic, low recticulytes - all symptoms of iron deficient anemia - then he takes iron and things go back to normal - then they take him off iron and the problems return.... so I'd think it'd be important to know his iron levels before and after the iron supplements - Maybe he just doesn't get enough iron in his diet - some questions I'd have - How well does he eat? How much iron did they give him. What were his iron/ ferritin levels? If he's doing well taking iron supplements- why stop? Can he modify his diet to get more iron without supplements?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20019327

I Agree with Greg you may need to either get a different doctor or make sure your doctor spends sufficient time to answer you questions - you may also need to be more assertive - if the doctor says its a one time thing - let him know the history - etc. My guess is making sure he gets a balanced diet rich in iron will take care of things - not always easy in a 4 year old - but doable.

Best wishes,
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015