View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 03:25 AM

Hi, Greg...lots of wood! Bruce has about 2 cords stacked so far. He is waiting to bring down more, but I'm still watering (darn it), and it's getting in the way of his stacking.

We were in Portland yesterday for Bruce's bone marrow biopsy, and the hematologist we consulted with last year popped in. It was very nice of him to do that, we didn't have an appointment with him. But since he was there, I talked telomeres a little bit with him, casually mentioned TERC and TERT -- he said "everybody's telomeres get shorter as they age." But then said they would do some extra genetic testing...so we'll see what they come up with.

The PA who does the bmb's later said that we had caught him up short with the question about telomere's, so I gather this is very much cutting edge stuff.

I really wasn't trying to seem snobby, lol, I've just learned so much here.

We did make an appointment to go see Dr. Paquette again at UCLA, gosh we're getting a long list of questions for him.

Meantime, the good news is that Bruce's hgb and hct haven't dropped so drastically since the last transfusion. The bone marrow biopsy is the big waiting game, of course.

I'm glad you are well positioned to take advantage of the trial, if you decide it's the direction you want to go. The drug's antecedents are interesting.

Hugs, Catherine
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.