View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 01:39 PM

I couldn't agree more. Without Dr. Young and his team at NIH, and their pioneering development of the ATG treatment, I don't think I'd be alive today.

I wished to see Dr. Young for a second opinion on further treatment, but he reviewed my records and decided I was doing well enough not to warrant an appointment. Since that point about a year ago, I have continued to do well, so I certainly understand and respect his decision - he made the right call. It is very comforting just to know he and his team are there working to cure bone marrow failure disorders, and that they can see those patients most in need of help.

I was wondering, since you are posting this message and it sounds like you are in contact with the hematology team at NIH, is there a recent threat to their funding and/or an arising need for additional funding that prompted you to write this message? I ask because any threat to NIH hematology funding would be very concerning! If I write my elected officials, is there either a) an imminent threat to their funding or b) a need for increased funding for further research, that I should mention in particular?
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.