Thread: 2nd transplant?
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 19, 2016, 11:53 AM

Hi Bailie - it is very interesting how imprecise our understanding of MDS and how to treat it - and our understanding of why some transplants are successful and others not. So many variables - the nature of the disease, cytogenetics, the risk factors, age etc --- add all those variables to transplants as well as the source of donor, source of stem cells, sex differences between donors, conditioning regimes, post transplant therapies, GVHD etc - and variations in the underlying disease - AML v MDS for example - its almost mind boggling -

Your theory regarding a susceptibility crisis is interesting. In my case I was pretty much rolling along splendidly - hadn't felt so good in years. Then flow cytometry showed .09% blasts other tests 85% donor - alarming but not definitive. A month later blasts were 4%, chimerism was between 45 and 65% donor, depending on tests, and skin nodules that had been associated with the disease returned with a vengeance. Go figure.

While I'm not looking forward to a second transplant - I'm hoping this one will be less eventful and more successful - Importantly, I've learned that roast chicken is almost always available - even when it is not on the menu. I think this will make an enormous difference in making my recovery more pleasant.

I forgot about your road trip - where did you end up staying? Did you drive back alone? Except for the dogs - sounds like enormous fun.

Is this the daughter that contacted me a few times during my transplant - I really appreciated that - and I wish her well!
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015