View Single Post
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 06:24 AM

Are you receiving treatment at the Florida Cander Centers?"

Rich;

We have wintered over in Spring Hill for the past 6 years - this year - since Earl was already losing so much blood - we got established with Dr. Malhotra - a Hema/Onc. at the Florida Cancer Centers in Spring Hill. In fact, it was Dr. Malhotra who thought Earl had MDS way back when we first started to see him. He wanted to start Earl on Vidaza then - but since no one had ever told us he had MDS, and I was not yet familiar with Dr. Malhotra - I called our PGH Docs at West Penn Hospital, and they told me NOT to start treatment, as they felt he didn't have MDS. Oh, how I wish I had listened to Dr. Malhotra then - as we refused treatment. Had we started, Earl would have had at least 3 cycles before we came back to PA. Instead, I listened to the Docs that I have known for years, and may have caused him to get worse in the process. Don't get down - I know that's easy for me to say since I am not the one getting treatment. How is your appetite? Alot depends on how much you can tolerate, but you have to eat - especially protein - to keep your strength up. I know when Earl gets his blood drawn today that we are headed for a transfusion.
On another note, we have been looking to buy a winter home in the Spring Hill/Weeko Wachee area - lost out on 2 because we had a questionable realtor. But there are many down there - just hard to buy from PA. Take care, and if by chance you are seeing Dr. Malhotra - tell him Beth and Earl from Pennsylvania say hello. And again - good luck to you.
Beth,