View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 08:08 AM

Welcome Iris & Ollie!

Hello Iris:

Roger, JerryO and I are just starting Vidaza treatments. Roger is 66, I'm 70 and Jerry is 73. I have no experience in what it is like to be 90+, but it is a triumph just to reach that age.

If you have an oncologist you trust and he has experience with patience in there 90's, take his recommendation. You might consider starting a new thread on this forum titled something like "Experience with Vidaza treatment in your 90's?". If you have any trouble with starting a new thread, check with Neil Cuadra -- he's generous with his help.

In other words, I strongly advise you to become your own medical advocate and educate yourself. Doctors are like any other profession, the exceptional ones are rare and most are just plodding along. You must learn enough to be able to qualify you doctor's opinions.

I get my treatment at the Veterans Administration; so, I don't get to pick my doctors. In the total 10 minutes I've spent with my oncologist, he stated that Vidaza would extend my quality-of-life six months to one year. Then again, he has the bedside manner of Dracula!

Best of luck in your decisions. Keep in touch.

Kindest regards,