View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:33 PM

Question: What is the difference between a serum ferritin level and organ ferritin levels?

Chelation and ferritin levels is not something that had concerned me greatly in the past. My son's last serum ferritin level was taken back in Feb. 2013. It was around 600, but I didn't think much of it then since he currently is transfusion free.

Last week when we met with a BMT Dr. from Stanford for an initial consult. He advised us to make an appointment to see a Dr. in Oakland regarding Chelation via SQUID? He said it specifically targets Iron stores in the organs and optimizes organ function. I mentioned my son's Serum levels and he said something to the effect that Iron stores (levels) in the organs differ. Hmmm, this got me thinking. He also said, that even though he doesn't recommend BMT for my son yet, he advised us that should it come to BMT; he wouldn't take him as a patient until he had at least 6 months of chelation.

This is all new to me...

Has anyone had experience with chelation via SQUID?